Prince Rupert Port Authority

  1. What does the Prince Rupert Port Authority (PRPA) do?

    The PRPA, in its role as a market development agency, ensures that port assets are used efficiently and works to enhance Canada's opportunities in trade and transportation. The PRPA develops partnerships with other organizations to build facilities such as the new container port. Click here for more information on the container port initiative.

  2. Is the PPRA a government department?

    No, the PPRA is not a government department. The PPRA is a financially self-sufficient organization accountable to a Board of Directors consisting of Port clients and appointments from three levels of government. It does not report to a federal government department. It receives no government funding for its operations and no government guarantee for its borrowings.

  3. What are the transportation links between the Port of Prince Rupert and the rest of North America?

    One of the largest transcontinental railways and a major transcontinental highway connect the Port of Prince Rupert to the rest of North America. Prince Rupert is Canadian National (CN) railway's uncongested link into the North American continent. CN fits the definition of US class 1 Railway and is the only transcontinental railway in North America. CN has wide-ranging links into the US mid-west, and its reach extends into Mexico. The Trans-Canada links Prince Rupert to the rest of North America and the Alaska highway links it northward.

  4. Does the water around the Port freeze in the winter?

    Never. The Port of Prince Rupert remains ice-free year round. Average winter temperatures hover around zero degrees Celsius (32 Fahrenheit). With the depth of the channel and the speed of the current, the waters surrounding the Port area have never frozen and are unlikely to ever do so.

  5. How deep is the port?

    Prince Rupert has the deepest natural harbour in North America. The entrance into the inner harbour ranges in depth between 34-44 meters. Depths at existing berths range between five and 20 meters. The new container terminal's berth depth will extend to 16 meters, more than sufficient to handle ships of 8,000 TEU.

  6. Which properties and facilities do the Port Authority own?

    The Port Authority owns a number of docking facilities, water lots, and islands in both the inner and outer harbour areas of Prince Rupert. Terminals include: Fairview Container Terminal; Westview, a timber dock with a berth face of 309m and adjoining property; Ocean Dock, a timber dock with a berth face of 151 m; a Cruise Ship Lightering Facility, a concrete pontoon able to handle smaller vessels; Atlin Dock, a small cruise ship facility; and Northland Terminal, the cruise ship dock.

    The PRPA also owns a number of water lots and a 26.57 hectare parcel on South Kaien Island. The PRPA also owns Ridley Island, Coast Island, Lelu Island, Kinahan Islands, and Kitson Island.

  7. Does the Port Authority lease waterfront property suitable for development?

    Yes, the PPRA has approximately 800 hectares of land available for development, with more than 200 kilometers of waterfront. Please contact us for more information on industrial development properties.

  8. Which are the biggest construction projects at the port now?

    The PRPA has two large project anticipated to begin in 2012. The Road Rail Utility Corridor, on Ridley Island, will provided shared-use infrastructure for future terminal developments. Also, the Port Authority is optimistic that the Phase 2 expansion of the Fairview Container Terminal will begin in 2012.

  9. In view of the city's small population, why is Prince Rupert's container terminal a success?

    This is Prince Rupert's strategic advantage. Low local population density means few land use, traffic, and rail congestion issues like those facing larger ports, such as Vancouver and Los Angeles. The Port of Prince Rupert links growing Asian markets with important commercial centers and has industrially-zoned land available for development by heavy industry.

  10. Who do I contact if I want to ship something?

    You must contact a shipping company that is capable of handling the type of commodity you would like to ship. The PRPA is not involved in shipping.

  11. Who do I contact for employment opportunities at the Port of Prince Rupert?

    Please call our Human Resources Department, at 1-250-627-8899.

  12. How do I contact Canada Customs?

    Canadian Border Services Agency
    378 - 309 - 2nd Avenue West
    Prince Rupert, British Columbia
    Canada V8J 3T1
    Phone 1-250-627-3003
    Fax 1-250-627-3041

  13. How do I dock my yacht?

    Please call the Yacht Club, on channel 73 or by telephone, at 1-250-624-4317.


Contact Information LEARN MORE Inside the Port Authority LEARN MORE Map of Prince Rupert LEARN MORE Facilities LEARN MORE